- 2 lbs of stewing beef
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 3 cups beef broth
- 10 threads saffron
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons turmeric ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- ½ teaspoon mace ground
- 1 cup prunes pitted
- 1 cup potatoes cubed
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 16 pearl onions skinned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh cilantro
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- In a heavy-duty tagine or casserole pot, brown the meat in the olive oil.
- Remove the meat from the pan and add the onions to brown.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the broth, saffron, honey, turmeric, cinnamon, mace, prunes, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover the pan with lid or tinfoil and place in 375 F oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add pearl onions and salt.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and almonds before serving.
Note: This recipe is just the basics for a tagine. You can use other meats such as lamb or chicken. And you can substitute other vegetables or add more varieties. Finally you can add other dried fruits such as apricots or raisins.