- 10 ounces quality chocolate chopped finely*
- 5 large egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- ¾ cup half & half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder with 1 tablespoon hot water
* You can use almost any kind of chocolate from white to bittersweet to get different results.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large bowl and place a fine mesh sieve over top and set aside.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, salt and creams in a large saucepan and heat over medium high heat, whisking frequently.
- Heat to a temperature of about 180˚ F. You can use a thermometer but you can also bring the sauce to the point where it just begins to boil.
- Pour the sauce through the sieve into the chocolate and let it stand for a few minutes to start melting the chocolate.
- Then use a rubber spatula to blend the sauce into the chocolate.
- Add the vanilla extract and espresso.
- Pour the mix into 8 five ounce ramekins.
- Chill to room temperature and then cover with plastic wrap for storage in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- You can also put them in to the freezer where they will keep well for many weeks.
- Serve with whipped cream and a garnish such as a maraschino cherry or chocolate curls or chocolate covered coffee beans.
- Add a drop of Lorann Flavour Oil or small amounts of liqueurs with the vanilla extract to make a unique dessert.