- 1 cup fruit and/or nuts
- 2 tablespoons alcohol
- 1 cup good quality chocolate
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 4 oz dried plain crispy cookies such as ladyfingers or sugar cookies
- ½ cup icing sugar
- Lay out 2 pieces of plastic wrap about 15 x 15″ on the counter side by side.
- Marinate the fruit in the alcohol at least 1 hour.
- Pulverize half of cookies in a food processor – about ¾ cup.
- Break the remaining pieces in small pieces.
- Melt chocolate and whipping cream.
- Stir in pulverized cookies.
- Add fruit, alcohol, nuts and cookie pieces and mix.
- Pour half of the chocolate mixture onto each piece of plastic wrap.
- Roll the plastic wrap to form a log.
- Twist the ends and tie with a twist tie pushing the chocolate into the centre to form a solid log.
- Refrigerate overnight for the chocolate to set.
- When ready to serve, take the Salami out of the plastic wrap and rub with icing sugar.
- Cut ½” slices with a knife that has been run under hot water and dried.
- Serve with crisp biscuits or fancy crackers, grapes or slices of fruit, or dried fruit.
1. Chocolate – bittersweet chocolate
Fruit & Nuts – apricots, prunes & raisins
Alcohol – Cruzan Rum
2. Chocolate – ½ milk & ½ semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – sour cherries & cranberries
Alcohol – cherry brandy
3. Chocolate – semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – diced ginger
Alcohol – ginger liqueur
4. Chocolate – ½ semisweet & ½ cappuccino
Fruit & Nuts – whole hazelnuts
Alcohol – Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
5. Chocolate – ½ milk & ½ semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – pistachios & 2 drops of pistachio oil
Alcohol – white rum or apricot brandy
6. Chocolate – ½ milk & ½ semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – chopped pecans & cranberries
Alcohol – apricot brandy
7. Chocolate – ½ milk & ½ semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – slivered almonds, cranberries & 2 drops of coffee oil
Alcohol – Kahlua
8. Chocolate – ½ Valrhona Caramel & ½ semisweet
Fruit & Nuts – whole pecans
Alcohol – Kahlua