- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
* You can substitute up to 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the dry dough ingredients and blend in the butter until completely combined.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and milk together until just combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the batter and mix until you have a sticky dough.
- Knead the batter briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle about 9 by 12 inches.
- Spread the ¼ cup of soft butter over the dough and evenly sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the butter.
- Roll the dough into a spiral starting from a long edge and cut into pieces about 1 inch thick.
- Bake at 425̊ F for 15 to 20 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.