- ⅔ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- sliced almonds, blanched or natural
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease an 8 inch square cake pan.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until fluffy – about 5 minutes.
- Add the almond extract and then blend in the beaten egg.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until the dough is smooth.
- Spread the dough evenly in the cake pan.
- For the topping, beat the egg and milk in a bowl until well combined.
- Brush the top of the dough with egg/milk mixture and spread the sliced almonds evenly on top. An alternative is to press a single blanched almond into the centre of the 16 squares you intend to cut after baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and let cool. Cut into 16 squares and serve.