The following hints and tips help make your fruit cake a better one.
1. Rinse all the fruit thoroughly and let the excess moisture drain before mixing with the cake batter.
2. Pour boiling water in a bread pan and place in the oven beside or below the cake. Keep an eye on it during the baking to make sure it doesn’t run dry.
3. Tea towels are better than cheesecloth for wrapping the cake. Use old soft towels and dampen them before wrapping the cakes. Be sure they are well wrung out.
4. Wrap the cakes while they are still slightly warm.
5. Pour the rum or brandy over the towel after wrapping the cake and while it is still warm.
6. Use about ½ cup of brandy or rum per cake.
7. Once the cake is wrapped and dosed with the rum, place it in a sturdy plastic bag that can be wrapped tightly around the cake and sealed.
8. Store cakes in dark cool place, preferably not in the fridge or freezer.
9. Check the cakes after two week to give them a little extra dose of rum or brandy.
10. If you plan to top the cake with Marzipan, do this at the time the cake is brought out for serving.