- 2½ cups pecans, chopped
- 1 cup red glace cherries
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup moist dried fruit, such as figs or raisins
- 2 good splashes of sherry or rum
- 6 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 8″ round baking pan with rice paper or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl place nuts, glace fruit and flour and mix well.
- In a food processor blitz the dried fruit, then transfer to a saucepan.
- Add 1 splash of booze, honey, sugar and spices.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour fruit mixture over nut mixture and add the last splash of booze.
- Spoon into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press top down with a layer of parchment paper.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool in baking pan.
- Dust with icing sugar and thinly slice.
Note: You can use all sorts of substitutes:
- nuts – pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts
- glace fruit – red cherries, mixed fruit or peel
- dried fruit – figs, raisins, dates, cranberries, or apricots