Basic Pie Crust
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted frozen butter cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup frozen shortening (eg. lard) cut into small cubes
- ⅓ cup very cold water
Standard Size Pie Large Pie
- 2 large eggs 3 large eggs
- 1¾ cups pumpkin puree 2¾ cups pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup sugar 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1⅔ cup evaporated milk 2½ cup evaporated milk
For the pie crust:
- add the flour and salt to a food processor with steel blade pulse a few times to mix
- add the butter and shortening cubes to the flour and process at high speed for about 30 seconds or until the texture is like coarse corn meal.
- With the processor running at medium speed slowly pour the cold water into the mix. Within a ½ minute the crust should begin to combine. You can continue to process until a ball forms or transfer to a floured surface and form a ball with your hands.
- chill the ball of crust in a bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes or so. You can make the filling in the mean time.
- Roll the chilled crust on a floured surface your pie pan. Trim the excess and save it for the roll-ups described below.
For the filling:
- preheat oven to 425̊ F
- in a large bowl, mix the ingredients in the order given
- pour mixture into a prepared pie shell
- bake at 425̊ F for 15 minutes
- reduce oven to 350̊ F and continue baking for at least 45 minutes for the small pie and longer for the large pie. Be sure to test the center of the pie for doneness. A cake tester or fork should come out fairly clean. Shake the pie (use oven mitts!). The filling may shake a little but should be firm.
- move pie to a wire rack to cool thoroughly before serving, preferably overnight.
Serve with whipped cream as a topping.
For the leftover pie crust:
- Roll the remaining crust out on a floured surface again. Try to get a roughly rectangular shape.
- Spread soft butter over the surface of the crust.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the butter and, if desired some chopped walnuts or pecans.
- roll up the prepared crust into a long log and slice pieces about 1 inch wide across the roll.
- transfer the pieces to a cookie sheet or pie plate sprayed with vegetable oil spray and bake at
- 350̊ F for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown and with the sugar and butter caramelizing.
- allow to cool and serve.