- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat all purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flax
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups buttermilk or sour milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons mixed seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower or pepitas)
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients and seeds and blend well.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg.
- Add the milk and oil and mix together.
- Add the egg mixture to the batter and mix until you have a sticky dough, the mixture should still be lumpy.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining seeds on top
- Bake at 350̊ for 45 to 50 minutes.
Note: this is a very forgiving recipe; substitutions can be easily made.